Prospect Baptist Church observes 176th anniversary

PRESENTATION – Dr. Blane DeLoach, Director of the Carroll-Benton Baptist Association presents Prospect Baptist Church pastor Terry Bradshaw with a congratulatory plaque from the Tennessee Baptist Convention Historical Committee. At right is Lillian Hicks, who serves as the associational clerk, church organist, historian and longest serving member. Submitted photo


Prospect Baptist Church in Hollow Rock marked their 176th Anniversary with a homecoming celebration during the morning worship service on October 23.

The service featured special music by Cathy Butler, Perry Cook and Ashley Cook followed by a short history presentation by Lillian Hicks. She, along with being the associational clerk, historian and church organist, has the distinction of being the longest serving member. Following the history presentation Dr. Blane DeLoach, who is the Director of the Carroll-Benton Baptist Association, presented  pastor Terry Bradshaw with a congratulatory plaque from the Tennessee Baptist Convention Historical Committee. Brother DeLoach also delivered the morning message.

THE COOK FAMILY – The Cook family members (from left) Ashley and Perry Cook and Cathy Cook Butler sang during the church’s 175th anniversary on Oct. 23.

A fellowship meal which was prepared by members of the congregation followed the services.

The United Baptist Church of Prospect was founded in 1846 when the area was known as Sandy Bridge making it one of the oldest churches in the area.  The original location was in the northwestern corner of the current Prospect Cemetery.

The congregation quickly became associated with the Southwestern District Missionary Baptist Association. In 1930 the congregation shifted to the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) and Tennessee Baptist Convention (TBC). The incentive for the shift was participation in the Cooperative Program (CP). 

In 2015 Mark Miller of the TBC presented the church with a Pioneer Award Plaque showing that Prospect has continually contributed to the CP since its inception.

In 1929 the church moved to its current location on property that was deeded by the N.C. & St.L Railroad. The move was necessitated when a series of windstorms blew the church off its foundation. The brick for the original building was donated by John P. Cooper who was a prominent Hollow Rock businessman and deacon in the church.

Further additions to the original structure were added in 1951 and 1962. 

Sunday services include Sunday School which begins at 10 and preaching at 11:00. Wednesday night Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Visitors are always welcome.

Related Posts

The Carroll County News-Leader is a full-service, premium newspaper and news website serving Carroll County, Tennessee. We take advantage of today’s digital technology to deliver you the news that matters to you in ways that are only possible in this platform and in print.
Contact us: [email protected]

© Copyright 2024, 84 Elks Lodge Rd. Huntingdon, TN